Duckering Building (UAF)
William Elmhirst Duckering Building
Description: 1760 Tanana Loop
The William Elmhirst Duckering Building was completed in 1964. The five-storybuilding is located between the Bunnell Building and the Brooks Building on the main campus. It was enlarged in 1985, and the building was rededicated. When it was first occupied, the building was used by the Institutes of Marine Science and Arctic Biology; the College of Business, Economics, and Government; the State of Alaska Highway Department; the departments of mathematics, engineering, physics, electrical engineering; and others.
On Feb. 23, 2002, after more than a year of extensive renovations, the Duckering Building was again rededicated. Modern communication systems, smart classrooms and more than $750,000 of new equipmentwere added. Today the building serves as a modern engineering center — home to the College of Engineering and Mines and all instructional and research programs in engineering.
“William Elmhirst Duckering Building Dedication Program,” Special Events (A12.D5), UAF Alaska and Polar Regions Archives; “Duckering Building,” UAF Faculty and Staff Newsletter, January 13, 1986; Duckering Rededication 2002 Program; University Relations Tour Script 2002
Notable People: William Elmhirst Duckering