Qualifying Life Event
Outside of the annual Open Enrollment period, an employee may change an enrollment election (i.e., add or delete dependents, change level of coverage) only if there has been a major life event.
Marriage or divorce of the employee
Death of the employee’s spouse or a dependent
Birth or adoption of a child by the employee
Termination of employment (or the commencement of employment) of the employee’s spouse
Switching from part-time to full-time employment status or from full-time to part-time status by the employee or the employee’s spouse
Taking of an unpaid leave of absence by the employee or the employee’s spouse
A significant change in the health coverage of the employee or the employee’s spouse attributable to the spouse’s employment
Gain or involuntary loss of health care coverage of your dependent
If you experience a qualifying life event, you will need to submit a Life Event Changes form within the appropriate timeframe:
- 30 days from the date of the event
- 60 days from the birth or adoption of a child
Forms that are completed and submited outside of these windows will not be accepted. Changes to benefits will have to be completed during the annual Open Enrollment period.
Changes (addition or deletion of dependents) will be limited to those that are both on account of a major life event and are consistent with that major life event. Enrollment changes are subject to the other terms and limitations of this program.
An eligible employee who previously elected not to enroll a dependent(s) in the plan when such coverage was previously offered, may enroll the dependent(s) in the plan at the same time a newly acquired dependent is enrolled.
Court documents are needed to support dropping a dependent, such as a divorce decree or legal seperation. If adding dependents you will need to provide a marriage certificate, birth certifcate or FIP statement that has been signed off on by a benefits specialist.
Major Life Event:
- For all life events that are not birth or adoption of a child, the coverage effective date is the date that HR is notified that changes need to be made to an employee's benefits
- This notification is received through submission of Life Event Changes form and must be submitted within 30 days from the date of the event
Birth or Adoption:
- For birth or adoption, the coverage is effective the date of birth or date the adoption was finalized.
- Newborns will automatically be added by Premera for the first 31 days. After the first
31 days the child will be removed from the plan.
- Employees must submit a Life Event Changes form within 60 days from the date of birth in order to add the child to their plan for the remainder of the plan year.