Extended Temporary Employees
Extended temporary employees are hired to work at least 30 hours per week on a regular basis at the time of hire. As an extended temporary employee, you are eligible to receive the following benefits:
- Health care coverage through the University of Alaska
- Accrue and use sick leave
- Participate in a Tax-Deferred Annuity (TDA) retirement plan
For information about the three UA Choice Health Care Plans offered, please visit the Medical page of the Benefits Website. You will find plan summaries, plan comparison, rates, and other beneficial information to help you in the decision making process.
If you find you need additional assistance, please contact DirectPath as they can help you choose which plan may be right for you.
Please note: As an extended temporary you are not eligible for a Health Savings Account
(HSA), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, or
Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance through the University.
To enroll in a UA Choice Health Care Plan for you and your dependents, please complete the enrollment form via NextGen (must have UA login credentials to access forms) within 30 days from your employment date.
- You must have supporting documentation to provide proof of relationship at time of enrollment. For information on a Financially Interdependent Partner (FIP), please review the FIP Statement and FIP Form.
- If you do not make a selection within the 30 day election period, you will automatically waive your right to health care coverage.
- You must remain employed to maintain coverage through a UA Choice Plan.
Temporary employees are typically expected to work up to 29 hours per week.
Temporary employees may be eligible for health care coverage after a 6 month look back period from the employee's start date. If a temporary employee works an average of 30 hours per week (130 hours per month), the employee will be provided an opportunity to enroll in coverage for a 6 month period. Temporary employees must remain employed to maintain coverage on a UA Choice Plan
Benefits staff will notify temporary employees if they are eligible for health care and provide instructions on how to enroll.