Which leave is right for me?

At the University of Alaska, we provide many leave options for employees that can seem overwhelming to navigate through. This page is designed to show a comparison of the leaves to help you determine what might be right for you. This page to to be used as guidance. Please review each of the individual leave pages for details on the program. Please feel free to reach out to ua-hr-leaves@alaska.edu to discuss your specific needs.

If you are experiencing a serious health condition, or are caring for a family member with a serious health condition - please call Unum at 866-779-1054.


Family Medical Leave (FML)

Managed by Unum

Job protected leave should you need to be absent due to

  • pregnancy/childbirth/adoption,
  • your own serious health condition,
  • or to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition. 
Federal FML
  • 12 weeks in 12 months for all conditions 
Alaska FML
  • 18 weeks in 12 months for pregnancy/childbirth/adoption for those located in Alaska.
  • 18 weeks in 24 months for serious health conditions or to care for a family member with a serious health condition for those located in Alaska.

If eligible for multiple leaves, they will run concurrently.

Other State Leaves
Additional leave may be granted depending on your work location if outside Alaska. Please call Unum at 866-779-1054.

No. The law itself provides job protection only.

However; employees must claim earnings code 550 on their time sheet when on FML. This will cascade from their sick leave, annual leave and Faculty Time Off, personal holiday, and then leave without pay. Employees use their paid leave while they are out on FML. In this way, FML is paid.

Call Unum at 866-779-1054.

Parental Leave

Managed by UA

For employees who are welcoming their child through birth, adoption or placement.
5 days (equates to 40 hours of leave for someone who works full time). Must be used in the first 6 months of birth, adoption, or placement.


This is a separate leave bucket provided by UA.

You must be on approved FML for the birth, adoption, or placement of your child to be eligible. If you are not on FML, but should be, call Unum at 866-779-1054.

If on FML, this will automatically be added to your leave balance. You will see your leave balance loaded in UAOnline and will receive a copy of a NextGen form with the number of hours available and start/end dates.

Short-term Disability (STD)

Managed by Unum

Short-term disabilities that cause you to miss 14-89 days of work.
Employees must be continuously absent for 14 days (elimination period) before Short-term Disability can begin. Once benefits begin, they last for a maximum of 11 weeks (13 weeks in total including the 14 day elimination period).


This is paid by Unum at 60% of your pay to a maximum of $800 a week for 11 weeks. 

Employees must use their own paid leaves for the remaining 40% while receiving Short-term Disability. Review the Short-term Disability page for more information.

Unum will set up your Short-term Disability leave. If you are experiencing an event, please reach out to them to discuss FML and Short-term Disability. Call Unum at 866-779-1054.

Long-term Disability (LTD)

Managed by Unum

Long-term disabilities that cause you to miss 90+ days of work.
Employees must be absent for 90 days over a 180 day period before LTD can begin. The total length of LTD can vary based on personal circumstances.


This is paid by Unum at 60% of your pay to a maximum of $3,000 per month. 

You cannot supplement this pay with your own leaves like you can with STC.

LTD typically comes into play once FML entitlements have exhausted, but this is not always the case. If you believe you may qualify for LTD, call Unum at 866-779-1054.


Leave Share Program

Managed by UA

To provide salary continuation to eligible employees on an approved FML event. Other eligibility requirements apply. Please review the Leave Share Program webpage to understand all the eligibility requirements. 
Up to 520 hours can be received by donors within a rolling 12 month year.


These are sick leave hours that are donated from other UA employees.

Review the Leave Share Program website to see if you are eligible and how to apply.