Risk Management and Insurance



  1. Transportation
    1. Due to risk management/insurance concerns, the use of boat, snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle (ATV), private motorcycle, private aircraft, or other non-conventional modes of transportation for the conduct of university business is not permitted unless specifically approved by the Statewide Office of Risk Services. When applicable, a pilot aircraft request form and/or skipper and vessel request form must be filed along with any necessary documents and proof of insurance for review and approval. The only exception is the university’s aviation schools operating under FAA Part 141.
    2. The university provides liability and physical damage coverage for all university owned, leased, rented vehicles and non-owned vehicles for which university is contractually liable.
    3. For privately-owned vehicles driven on university business, the university provides liability insurance in excess of the private owner’s liability insurance. The owner should have adequate insurance coverage including liability, physical damage, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. The university does not provide physical damage coverage to an employee’s private vehicle or other personal property. The university does not assume liability for deductibles or other insured loss to the vehicle.
    4. If a university-owned vehicle is being used in a foreign country, the purchase of local admitted insurance is always required.
  2. Travel Accident Insurance
    1. Travel Accident Insurance is generally provided for University of Alaska employees while in authorized university business travel status outside a 100-mile radius from home or regular place of business. No additional travel accident insurance will be reimbursed for employees. Contact the Statewide Office of Risk Services or see its web site for current program information.
    2. Reimbursement of travel accident insurance is allowed for nonemployees conducting university business.
  3. Employees disregarding these regulations will be considered to be functioning outside the course and scope of his/her employment for any loss reimbursement or liability purposes. This means that an employee who incurs a loss or a claimed or actual liability as a result of a violation of these regulations will not be entitled to any loss reimbursement or to defense and/or indemnification by the University of Alaska in any action taken against him/her.

Visit the Systems Office Risk Management website for procedures, guidelines and other resources for UA travel safety and security, including travel accident insurance.