HR Classification and Compensation

FAQs - Compensation

What is the minimum wage in Alaska?

The Alaska minimum wage is $9.89/hr. The Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr.  The University of Alaska follows federal wage and hour guidelines.

Are there yearly salary increases?

When fiscal circumstances permit, staff salaries may be increased "across the board" by a specific percentage at the beginning of a fiscal year, (July -June).  Such increases must be approved by the  Board of Regents.

If I promote to a new job, how is my raise determined?

Promotions are defined as a movement from a position in one grade to a different position in a higher grade. Placement will be at the minimum of the new grade or at the closest step which provides a 10% increase in pay, whichever increase is greater.

If my current job is reclassified to a higher grade, how is my salary affected?

You will be placed at the first step of the new grade or at the closest step which provides a 5% increase in pay, whichever is greater. (Note: Salary cannot exceed the top step of the new grade.)

Do I get paid for overtime?

Employees classified as Non-Exempt receive pay for hours worked in excess of 40 straight-time hours per week. Overtime hours must be approved, in advance, by your supervisor.

Employees classified as Exempt do not receive pay for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week. 

How is overtime determined?
Overtime is paid at 1-1/2 times your regular rate of pay, for hours worked over 40 hours per week. Sick leave, holiday leave or annual leave hours do not count as hours worked in a week in determining overtime. For example, if an employee uses 8 hours annual leave on Monday and works 40 hours Tuesday – Saturday, all time will be at the regular rate of pay.

Can I have compensatory (comp) time instead of overtime pay?

University Policy and Regulation does not allow for comp time instead of overtime pay. The University does allow flexible schedules or a modified work week. Modified schedules are arranged to best meet the needs of the department or employee, so long as hours worked do not exceed 40 per week.

My position just changed to non-exempt.  Can I be paid for overtime I worked before the change?

Please contact your regional Human Resources office for more information if you think you may be eligible for pay for hours you worked prior to being changed to Non-Exempt.  You will need to provide reasonable documentation of hours worked. This must be verified by your supervisor and submitted to HR for review. Claims will be considered going back as far as two years from the date you first contact HR or your supervisor.

Do I have to work overtime if I don't want to?

Your employer can require you to work overtime and may discipline or terminate you if you refuse to work the overtime. If you are in a non-exempt position, your employer must also pay you at 1-1/2 times your regular rate of pay for hours worked over 40 straight-time hours per week.

Don't I have to be paid for on-call time? 
Some on-call time is payable and some is not. Your freedom to pursue your own interests while on-call determines whether or not you should be paid. If you are required to carry a beeper but are free to pursue your own interests, you would not be paid until you had to respond to a call. If you are required to remain at your place of work and are not allowed to pursue your own interests, your employer is required to pay you for this on-call time.

Do I get paid for my travel time if I'm traveling on University business?

If you are in a non-exempt position and travel during your regular working hours (even if travel occurs on your day off), or if you are doing work while you are traveling, the University must pay you for your travel time.  

If you have any questions about the information provided here please contact your regional Human Resources office or the Statewide Office of Human Resources.

Back to Top