July 26, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 26, 2019
MEDIA ADVISORY/ MEETING OF THE UA BOARD OF REGENTS
WHO: University of Alaska Board of Regents
WHAT: Special Board Meeting to consider a structure for the university and to hear from representatives of the Dunleavy administration about the budget and the future of the University of Alaska
WHEN: Board meets from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 30, 2019
WHERE: Lee Gorsuch Commons, Room 107
University of Alaska Anchorage campus
BACKGROUND: The board intends to discuss structural options for the university. Regents asked for a presentation on two options for university structure after a major budget cut ($136 million in state funds). The options under consideration are:
Current UA Structure
- Distribute $136 million budget cut proportionately to each of the three separately accredited universities and to statewide administration
- Each unit to focus on its “core” strengths
New UA Structure
- Designed to adapt to student enrollment and budget
- Single accreditation with shared courses and services
- Addresses legislative intent regarding a single accredited university
- Reduces administrative overhead
- Deliver education via a single college for major fields serving the state
That structure discussion will be followed by representatives of the Dunleavy administration who will address the governor’s perspectives on the university budget. In talking with reporters Thursday, the governor indicated his team had developed a concept for UA’s budget.
The one-page Office of Management and Budget [OMB] proposal was provided to the Board of Regents and calls for an FY20 budget cut of $85 million and another cut of $38 million in FY21. The cuts would be applied to specific areas across the university, which would present an unprecedented restriction of the regents’ authority to allocate the legislature’s appropriations.
While some discussions have occurred with OMB, there has been no UA endorsement or agreement with the OMB proposal. The university is still actively working with the legislature to achieve a reasonable budget.
The meeting will be livestreamed at www.alaska.edu/bor/live/
For more information, contact Roberta Graham, associate vice president of public affairs at 907-360-2416 (cell).