Resident and Non-Resident Tuition

UAA - Anchorage (Main)

University of Alaska Anchorage
Enrollment Services
PO Box 141629
Anchorage, AK 99514-1629
Phone: (907) 786-1480
Fax: (907) 786-4888

UAA - Kenai Peninsula College

University of Alaska Anchorage
Student Services
156 College Road
Soldotna, AK 99669
Phone: (907) 262-0330
Fax: (907) 262-0322

UAA - Kodiak College

University of Alaska Anchorage
Student Services
117 Benny Benson Drive
Kodiak, AK 99615
Phone: (907) 486-1266
Fax: (907) 486-1264

UAA - Mat-Su College

University of Alaska Anchorage
Student Services
PO Box 2889
Palmer, AK 99645
Phone: (907) 745-9746
Fax: (907) 754-9747

UAF - Fairbanks (Main)

University of Alaska Fairbanks
Office of Admissions
2nd floor, Signer's Hall
PO Box 757480
Fairbanks, AK 99775
Phone: (907) 474-7500
Toll-free: 1 (800) 478-1UAF

UAS - Juneau (Main)

University of Alaska Southeast
Registrar's Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801
Phone (907) 796-6100
Toll-free (877) 465-4827
Fax (907) 796-6365

Students eligible for Alaska resident tuition generally include:
  • An Alaska resident, defined as a person who is a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen that has been physically present in Alaska for at least the past one year.
  • Students that received a State of Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend within the last twelve months and certify they have been in Alaska for the past twelve months.
  • Military personnel on active duty, their spouses and dependent children.
  • Members of the National Guard, their spouses and dependent children.
  • Dependent children of an Alaska resident as evidenced by the most current federal income tax return filed within the past 16 months.
  • Students participating in the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE) Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP).
  • Students from other states or provinces whose public universities waive nonresident tuition surcharges for Alaska residents; or from foreign cities and provinces that established Alaskan sister city or sister province relationships.
  • Students designated by the UA Scholars Program as UA Scholars for a period of 12 months after UA Scholars designation.
  • Participants of the education savings plans offered by Alaska 529, T. Rowe Price College Savings Plan, or John Hancock Freedom 529 Plan.
  • Spouse or dependent children of a University of Alaska employee.
  • Students that graduated within the past twelve months from a qualified Alaska high school.
A student will be considered non-resident if within one year prior to applying for residency they:
  • Were absent from Alaska for an aggregate of more than 90 days other than documented absences due to illness, or attendance at another educational institution while maintaining Alaska residency.
  • Did any act inconsistent with Alaska residency such as claiming residency in another state or voting as a resident of another state.
  • Registered as a resident in an educational institution in another state.
  • Paid tuition at the University of Alaska at the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program rate.

To prove physical presence, a student must provide documentation of one of the following:

  • That the student moved household goods to Alaska at least one year ago.
  • The student’s lease, rental, or ownership of real property in Alaska for at least the prior one year.
  • The student’s permanent employment in Alaska for at least the prior one year.
  • Other indicia of Alaska residency for the prior one year deemed satisfactory by the MAU chief enrollment officer or designee.
Students applying for resident tuition assessment must file an application for resident tuition with the appropriate MAU admissions office prior to the published end of the add/drop period for regular semester-length courses for the semester for which residency is sought. Failure to file and provide adequate proof of physical presence by this date will waive any claim that the student was eligible for resident tuition assessment for that semester or prior semesters unless otherwise determined by the MAU chief enrollment officer.

Residency criteria, as paraphrased above, are determined by UA Board of Regents residency policy and regulations;  P05.10.025. Resident Tuition Assessment . For additional information and applications, students should contact the Office of Admissions at the UA campus you plan to attend.