Take the test
First of all, RELAX
You will have the opportunity to take this proctored placement test more than once at no cost. It is designed to assess what you know. At the end of the initial assessment, you will have a much better sense of your strengths and weaknesses in math. You will then have a chance to work on those weaknesses then retest. The most important thing is that you take the test seriously and give it an honest effort so that the assessment truly reflects your level of knowledge and math preparedness.
Be honest about your skill level. There is no benefit to cheating on the placement assessment – your only reward will be that you are forced to take a class that is too difficult for your current level of mathematical knowledge. The purpose of the proctored placement test is to give an accurate measure of your current mathematical skills so that you will be successful in your mathematics courses. Concerns about academic integrity will be addressed by the university.
Note the following
- At the beginning of the Math Placement Test, you will go through a brief tutorial about the system and interface. You will be shown how to enter different types of answers, how to use the ALEKS calculator, and how to graph something by hand.
- Do not use a textbook or calculator - the assessment has a built-in calculator which is available on certain questions.
- Enter your answers carefully. Once you submit your response to a question, you cannot return to that question to change the answer.
- Select "I don't know" only if you have no idea how to work a problem. If you select "I don't know" repeatedly, it will lower your score on the assessment.
- If your computer locks up or freezes during the middle of the assessment, refresh the page in your browser. If that does not work, close your browser and log back in. The work you have already submitted will be saved and the assessment will pick up at the point you left off.
- If you have trouble getting past the UA Login or you have trouble getting the placement test to load on your computer, the Office of Information Technology has a webpage to help: http://www.alaska.edu/oit/services/account-management/aleks-login-support/index.php
- For any other questions, contact the following at your university:
UAA: Cameron Nay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
UAF: Brighton Brooks (email@example.com)
UAS: Gabe Wechter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vow of Academic Integrity:
- I understand that I am to take this placement assessment without the assistance of any persons, textbooks, online materials, or any other assistance. I understand that use of a calculator is prohibited unless it is specifically provided onscreen by the assessment program.
- I understand that any violations to the above are considered cheating and a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and can result in serious consequences. In any mathematics class I take, my instructor reserves the right to administer a proctored exam during the first week of the semester. If my performance on this exam is not consistent with my Math Placement score, I may be required to register for a lower course or complete prerequisite work prior to continuing.
- I vow that I am the individual whose name and ID will be submitted during the logon.
- BOR Policy 09.02.020