Open Enrollment

Now is the time to review your benefits

Open Enrollment runs through May 16 this year. This is your annual opportunity to change health plans, add or drop dependents, elect or increase supplemental life and enroll in accidental death and dismemberment for you and your family.

All the information you need is found online from our main benefits web site at www.alaska.edu/benefits.� We will not be mailing packets to the home to save paper, printing and postage costs. You did get a letter sent to your home (HR) address, with information about this year’s open enrollment.

Everything you need is online. There's an enrollment guide, all the forms you need with information about rates, a plan comparison chart, preventive services and the preventive drug lists for the three health plan options, and links to more information.

Do you need to turn in a form? If you don't want the FSA or HSA, and are not changing life insurance, health plan or enrolled dependents, you do not need to turn in any forms. However, if you want either FSA starting July 1, you do need to enroll since those plans don't roll into the next year. Also, the payroll deduction for the HSA ends at the end of the fiscal year so you'll need to complete the HSA form for payroll deduction to continue.

New this year: we've split up the forms so you only complete the ones you need.

  • All three plan options are on one form so you can easily compare the rates. Rates are on page 2 of the form.
  • Dependents are enrolled on a separate form, and be sure to list dependent social security numbers. This is required for the Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting we have to do early next year. If you’re not changing your enrolled dependents, you don’t have to turn in this form BUT if you haven’t provided their social security numbers, please complete it and mark “currently enrolled” so we know you’re not making changes (just providing the SSN).
  • Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) are on their own form so it's easier to read and enroll in a plan. You'll be able to get a debit card for your health care FSA this year from our new FSA administrator, ASIFlex.
  • The Health Savings Account (HSA) now has its own form. Remember, you can only contribute to the HSA if you are enrolled on the Consumer Directed Health Plan (CDHP) and have no other coverage that is not a qualifying CDHP type plan (this includes a flexible spending account, or FSA, even if it's your spouse's plan). More information on the HSA is here.
  • Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment are on their own form. We've added coverage levels for employees over 65, and most rates have gone down with the switch to the new life insurance company, Securian. Be sure to complete the beneficiary form if you’re enrolling in these voluntary plans for the first time.

Need help deciding which health plan is right for you? Contact Patient Care, your health care advocate, at (866) 253-2273, or online at patientcare4u.com/university_of_alaska/. They will ask the right questions to help you pick the health plan that's right for you.

What is changing? We’ve changed our Flexible Spending Account (FSA) administrator. ASIFlex will take over the FSA plans for FY17. If you currently have the FSA with WageWorks, you’ll continue to use that company for your FY16 plan. Starting July 1, we’ll be with ASIFlex. There will be a debit card that you can apply for with the medical FSA. Note this isn’t entirely “paperless,” and won’t relieve the need to provide proof some of your expenses are eligible, but it will make paying for services much easier with no need to file a separate claim for reimbursement. More information on the debit card is available here: asiflex.com/debitcards.html

Our new life insurance company is Securian. You’ll notice lower rates for the supplemental life insurance, and expanded coverage for employees age 65 and over. The new rates are on page two of the Supplemental Life and AD&D enrollment form. The guaranteed issue level is still $200,000. This means you can apply for up to $200,000 without having to complete any medical forms. If you want any amount over $200,000 you’ll need to complete the Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form and send it to Securian. Your coverage will be entered at $200,000 (or whatever you have currently, if higher) until your higher amount is approved. All current elected amounts will be grandfathered by the new company.

More Questions? Please don't hesitate to contact your regional HR office, contact information is found here.

Back to Top UA