Equity and Compliance resources
Dear Members of the University of Alaska Community:
The Equity and Compliance offices wanted to take this opportunity to remind members of our community that maintaining learning and working environments free from discrimination remains a high priority for the university.
Members of the community should be aware of the following important points:
- The UAA, UAF and UAS Equity and Compliance offices (Title IX) remain open, but are following public health recommendations by practicing social distancing. This means we are closed to walk-ins at this time and not holding in-person meetings. Instead, we are using audio and visual technology to hold meetings and conduct inquiries and investigations.
- Anyone impacted by sexual/gender-based discrimination is encouraged to contact the Equity and Compliance office to make a report
- Investigations and hearings will be conducted remotely, and remedies provided, to assure that any sexual harassment, sexual violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, retaliation, or other discriminatory behaviors are addressed promptly.
- University policies on discrimination, including sexual misconduct, apply to behaviors that occur between members of the university community in person, online, and virtually. Harassment is also prohibited in a cyber environment. Members of the UA community are expected to maintain a tone of civility and respect in online learning and working environments as is expected while attending in-person activities.
- Faculty and staff members who are responsible employees are reminded that reporting of alleged sexual harassment and misconduct is expected within 24 hours of becoming aware of incidents involving members of the campus community, regardless of how they learn of the potential misconduct, whether in person, in writing, or online.
If your home or living situation is not safe, confidential local and national resources are available.
As a reminder, information on the university’s sexual misconduct policies and procedures can be found here (https://www.alaska.edu/bor/policy/01-04.pdf). More information on Title IX at UA can be located at: https://www.alaska.edu/titleIXcompliance/.