Video update on budget and university structure
August 5, 2019
Dear UA Community,
In this Monday video update, President Johnsen discusses the FY2020 capital budget, which restores Alaska Performance Scholarship, WWAMI and Alaska Education Grant funding, as well as capital funding for deferred maintenance, and support for the Alaska Earthquake Center. In addition, a supplemental operating budget, which restores $110 million in state funds, is being transmitted to the Governor this week. Johnsen met with Gov. Dunleavy and his new Chief of Staff Ben Stevens last Friday and continues to advocate for the university’s state funding.
Johnsen also outlines the first steps in restructuring planning including:
- a statewide, multi-stakeholder survey launching this week;
- a meeting of special subcommittee of the Board of Regents on Aug. 28;
- final planning documents to be posted on Sept. 5;
- the statewide call-in public testimony on Sept. 9; and
- the full Board of Regents meeting on Sept. 12-13 in Anchorage.
Thank you for your commitment and patience through these times. The next update will be next Monday and additional communications will be shared as the process moves forward.
Please, take care of yourself and those around you.