NOTICE: Planned UA Data Center Outages May 13 & May 20
UAF Facilities Services will be conducting a planned maintenance power shutdown in the Butrovich Building to integrate a new Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for the Butrovich Data Center (BDC). The UPS will ensure seamless and continuous power supply to the BDC in the event of a utility outage. The BDC electrical system must be temporarily powered down to ensure safety for the technicians doing the work.
This planned maintenance shutdown will mean that many UA data systems served out of the BDC will be unavailable during the following timeframes:
- BDC offline - Saturday, May 13, 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Power Restored to BDC - Saturday, May 13, 5:00 PM
- Restoral of Temporary IT Systems and Services - Saturday, May 13, 5:00 PM to Saturday, May 20, 11:59 PM
- BDC on Temporary Power with Services Available - Saturday, May 13, 5:00 PM to Saturday,
May 20, 4:00 AM
- BDC Offline - Saturday, May 20, 4:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- BDC Power Stability Confirmation - Saturday, May 20, 9:00 PM
- Restoral of IT Systems and Services - Saturday, May 20, 9:05 PM to 11:59 PM
The University of Alaska Fairbanks main campus, including the Butrovich Building, and all UAF community campuses and outreach centers will not have Internet access during the planned maintenance shutdown. The System Office and UAF users will also lose access to VPN services and any shared file servers hosted in the BDC. This service disruption will only occur during the windows of "BDC Offline" as illustrated above.
Systems and services not hosted in the BDC should be available, such as Internet services
for UAA and UAS and their affiliated community campuses, Google services (Gmail, calendaring),
For more details and Frequently Asked Questions, please see our FAQ located at Data Center Outage FAQs - May 13, 20 2023.