Adult Dependent Coverage FAQs

Adult Dependent Coverage to Age 26
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Below are questions and answers about how PPACA’s dependent coverage to age 26 affects University of Alaska (UA) faculty and staff.

When will the UA Health Plan begin to cover dependents up to age 26?

The UA will implement the dependent care provision on July 1, 2011.  This is consistent with PPACA which requires implementation by the first plan renewal year six months after September 23, 2010.

Why isn’t UA implementing the adult dependent provision before July 1, 2011?

It would be imprudent to implement this provision earlier than required by law because the associated costs have not been budgeted for or factored into employee charges.

When will I be able to enroll my dependent(s) older than age 23 on my plan?

Enrollment for dependent children will begin at the first plan renewal occurring six months after the effective date of the new law (September 23, 2010).  For the UA this will be for the plan year beginning July 1, 2011.  Employees will be given advance notice of this opportunity during open enrollment (April 15, to May 15, 2011).

My child is turning 24, how can I keep them on my plan?

Until the new provision is in place, you have the option to continue dependent child coverage by selecting and paying for COBRA continuation coverage when your child no longer meets the current eligibility criteria.  You are required to notify your regional HR office within 60 days of the date your child no longer meets the eligibility criteria to take advantage of COBRA continuation.  If you or your child elects the COBRA plan, premiums must be paid retroactive to the date coverage ended.

How do I include my grandchild on my plan?

The new provision does not extend coverage to a dependent child’s spouse or children.  Under current plan provisions, grandchildren may be covered only if they are legally adopted by you or you are appointed legal guardianship by a court of law.

Will the enrollment happen automatically?

No, you will be required to enroll your eligible adult dependent in the plan.  Instructions for doing this will be provided during open enrollment.

Does the IRS definition of “dependent child” apply?


Does my child still need to be in school?


Does my child have to live with me?


Must my child be dependent upon me for support?


What if my child is married?

The plan will cover your child regardless of whether the child is married; however, your child’s spouse and children will not be covered.

How can I get my child back on my plan?

UA employees will be able to enroll their adult dependents during this year’s open enrollment (April 15 to May 16, 2011) for the next plan year beginning July 1, 2011. 

My child has a job, but the employer doesn’t offer health insurance.  Can I put them on my plan?

Yes, you may add the child to your plan for the plan year beginning July 1, 2011.

Back to Top