Employee Assistance Program

The university offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to all benefit-eligible faculty, staff and their dependents, as well as COBRA participants.  The program is a counseling service designed to help employees and their eligible family members resolve problems before they become overwhelming.  Trained counselors, who are available around the clock, will help and may guide you to an expert in your area. Help is available for personal concerns, legal and financial issues or day-to-day challenges, such as finding child or elder care, or buying a car.

How do I contact the EAP?

You or your eligible family members may contact ComPsych® directly 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at (866) 465-8934 or use the TDD at (800) 697-0353. Telephone or in-person consultations will be set up for program participants at their convenience, depending on the type of need or problem.  You can also go online to GuidanceResources® Online, which provides in-depth information with help sheets on a variety of topics, including personal and family concerns and legal and financial matters. You may also search for lawyers with particular specialties and child and elder care in your area. For first-time users, select "I am a first-time user" to set up an account.  The "company ID" required to sign in is GC5901Q.

What do I expect when I call?

You will be asked to describe what’s happening that’s causing you concern. The intake worker will assist you in developing a plan to deal with the situation. This may consist of scheduling a face-to-face assessment or, in the case of an emergency, offering you assistance right over the phone.

Scope of the Program

A broad range of personal problems can be addressed under this program:

*Job or work stress *Parenting issues
*Alcohol, drugs and other substance abuse *Burnout
*Anxiety or depression *Marital or relationship problems
*Credit and Financial Counseling *Anger management
*Legal issues and resources *Financial concerns
*Coping with change *Self-esteem
*Grief or bereavement *Consumer Issues


How much does it cost?

For most types of problems, you and your eligible dependents are entitled to receive up to six counseling sessions per topic. All charges for the EAP have been prepaid by the University of Alaska. There are no co-payments or fees, but if you are referred to additional resources for help, their charges, if not covered by the health plan, may be your responsibility. Check with your regional human resources office for coverage issues.

Who helps me?

All EAP advisors are fully qualified in their area of service. The program’s staff includes experienced clinicians, work-life specialists, attorneys and financial professionals. Your identity, as well as any information revealed to EAP staff, is held in the strictest confidence as required by law.

What about legal issues?

You may receive access to legal information via a telephone consultation. If you require representation, you can be referred to a qualified attorney in your area for a free 30-minute consultation with a 25 percent reduction in customary legal fees thereafter. Call anytime with issues including divorce and family law, bankruptcy, civil lawsuits, criminal actions and contracts.

What kind of help can I get with financial questions?

Financial professionals will discuss concerns and provide you with the tools and information you need to address your finances, including getting out of debt, retirement planning, credit card or loan problems, saving for college, tax questions and estate planning.

What kind of help can I get for work-life needs?

If you need help finding child or elder care in your area, planning for college, buying a car or a myriad of other issues, work-life specialists will help you sort out the issues and provide information with helpful resources and information. You will receive a personalized reference package containing helpful resources.

Back to Top