Current Hardware Recommendations
The specifications provided are the baseline recommendations for standard and performance computers. The OIT Service Desk is able to provide custom quotes based on your needs and budget as well.
Windows and Mac computers are both fully supported by OIT. When deciding on a platform, we recommend choosing one that is not only familiar to you, but also supports the applications you will need to be using. For a list of available University Licensed software available for each platform please see the software catalog.
Baseline Recommended Specifications
|Processor||Intel Core i5||Intel Core i7|
|Memory (RAM)||16 GB||32 GB|
250 GB (minimum)
1TB (recommended for storing a large amount of data)
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
Nvidia or AMD Graphics Card
Dell: Three year Basic Hardware Service
Apple: AppleCare+ for Mac, extends warranty for 3 years (optional)
The Office of Information Technology recommends the following laptop and desktop computers based on reliability, support, and performance. OIT has a contract with both Dell and Apple which allows us to purchase computers at a discounted price with enterprise level support. OIT cannot guarantee support for other computer brands or those purchased from other vendors. The contracted vendor for Dell purchases is Government Computer Sales, GCSIT.
Detailed Model Recommendations
|Windows Desktop||Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro||Dell Precision 3630 Tower|
|Windows Laptop||Dell Latitude 5490||Dell Precision 5530|
|Windows All-In-One (AIO)||
Dell Optiplex 7460 AIO
Dell Precision 5720 AIO
Apple Mac Mini
Apple Mac Pro
Apple Macbook Pro 13” without touch bar
Apple Macbook Pro 15” with touch bar
|macOS All-In-One (AIO)||
Apple iMac Pro
Purchasing Process for Dell Computers and Devices
For users making a one-time purchase of a Dell computer, we recommend the following process:
- Follow this link to go to our dell standard configurations.
- If these standard configuration options do not meet your needs, you can “build your own” from the shop tab or request a consultation and custom e-quote from the OIT Service Desk.
- Add the needed computer(s), monitor(s), and other peripherals to the cart.
- From the cart, create an e-quote.
- Once e-quote is created, contact GCS IT at 1-800-388-8239, from there you can provide the e-quote number and purchase this order over the phone.
For users that will be ordering Dell computers frequently, we recommend the following process:
- Place a request with the OIT Service Desk to have an account created for you in Dell Premier, include the billing address that will need to be added for this account.
- The Service Desk will complete your request as quickly as possible, but please note that it can take up to five business days for dell to add the billing address once the Service Desk process is finished.
- Once your request is processed, you will receive an email with a link to reset your temporary password.
- Login to Dell Premier using this link (note that the dell premier login will be different than a standard dell account if you also have one).
- Once logged in, you can use the shop tab at the top of the screen to access our standard configurations, “build your own” computer, and purchase anything that is added to your cart (once your billing address has been added).
- You may also request a consultation and custom e-quote for you to purchase from the OIT Service Desk.
Purchasing Process for Apple Computers and Devices
- Follow this link to go to the Apple Higher Education Store
- Add computer and/or other devices to your cart.
- Add Applecare to your cart (optional).
- You can check out and receive education discounts.