Outlook users now have the added benefit of using Google Apps Sync. Sync allows Outlook to connect to Google using Microsoft Exchange. Not only does email synchronize, calendar and contacts synchronize as well. For those interested in learning the detailed information about Google Apps Sync and all of its features, view the video at the bottom of this page.
It is important to note that there is a separate password you need to use; different than the Authserv password used to access Google webmail. This password must be configured prior to using your Google email in an email client. This password is known as the "Google-side Password".
To begin the configuration, follow the steps below:
- Set up your Google-side password
- Go to the Google Apps Sync download page and carefully review the system requirements listed there. Then install any necessary updates
- From the same page, download and install the Google Apps Sync plug-in.
- When prompted, enter your Google Apps @ UA account Email address and Google-side password, and sign in.
- After sign-in, a dialog appears where you can optionally import your existing Outlook data data:
You can import your existing email, contacts, and other Outlook data to your Google Apps account and finish creating your profile. If instead your Google Apps account already has your data, or if you want to import data later, select the Do not import any data option and click Create Profile. A window opens where you can start Outlook and begin the initial account sync.
- The initial sync can take several hours to complete. But you can begin using your account immediately.
If you have any problems during installation, see this help with installation.
The video below demonstrates the synchronization capabilites for Google Apps Sync. This video was created by Google and tailored to those coming from Microsoft Exchange, which UA did not have Microsoft Exchange, but if you were already using Outlook for your email, you may want to migrate all of your information.