Future Students
Why is Residency Important?

Resident classification determines the amount of tuition you need to pay.  It is important that Alaska public colleges and universities have fair and equitable rules that respect the interest of both the students and the taxpayers of Alaska.

It is your responsibility to provide the necessary documentation to establish residence status. Be certain of the rules and requirements of residency. Contact the admissions office of the campus you plan to attend if you have questions.

Dropdown lists of requirements!

Students eligible for Alaska resident tuition generally include:

  • An Alaska resident, defined as a person who is a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen that has been physically present in Alaska for at least the past two years.
  • Students that received a State of Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend within the last twelve months and certify they have been in Alaska for the past twelve months.
  • Military personnel on active duty, their spouses and dependent children.
  • Members of the National Guard, their spouses and dependent children.
  • Dependent children of a person who graduated and holds an Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctor’s degree from the University of Alaska.
  • Dependent children of an Alaska resident as evidenced by the most current federal income tax return filed within the past 16 months.
  • Students participating in the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE) Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP).
  • Students enrolled for four or fewer credit hours within the UA system during a semester.
  • Students from other states or provinces whose public universities waive nonresident tuition surcharges for Alaska residents; or from foreign cities and provinces that established Alaskan sister city or sister province relationships.
  • Students designated by the UA Scholars Program as UA Scholars.
  • Participants of the University of Alaska College Savings Plan.
  • Spouse or dependent children of a University of Alaska employee.
  • Students that graduated within the past twelve months from a qualified Alaska high school.

A student will be considered non-resident if within two years prior to applying for residency he/she:

  • Was absent from Alaska for an aggregate of more than 120 days other than documented absences due to illness, or attendance at another educational institution while maintaining Alaska residency.
  • Did any act inconsistent with Alaska residency such as claiming residency in another state or voting as a resident of another state.
  • Registered as a resident in an educational institution in another state.
  • Paid tuition at the University of Alaska at the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program rate.

To prove physical presence, a student must provide documentation of one of the following:

  • That the student moved household goods to Alaska at least two years ago.
  • The student’s lease, rental, or ownership of real property in Alaska for at least the prior two years.
  • The student’s permanent employment in Alaska for at least the prior two years.
  • Other indicia of Alaska residency for the two prior years deemed satisfactory by the MAU chief enrollment officer or designee.

Applying for Resident Tuition

Students applying for resident tuition assessment must file an application for resident tuition with the appropriate main campus admissions office prior to the published end of the add/drop period for regular semester-length courses for the semester for which residency is sought. Students who do not submit a residency application with the required supporting documentation by this date will waive any claim to resident tuition for that semester or prior semesters unless otherwise determined by the campus chief enrollment officer.
Residency criteria, as paraphrased above, are determined by UA Board of Regents' residency policy and regulations; P05.10.025. Resident Tuition Assessment (pdf).
Contact admissions at the UA campus you plan to attend.

Back to Top