Robert B. Atwood
Chairman, Alaska Statehood Committee
Publisher, Anchorage Daily Times
- Publisher of the Anchorage Daily Times, the most prominent pro-statehood newspaper in Alaska.
- Arranged and travelled with the "Statehood Flight" to Washington D.C., where he personally lobbied President Eisenhower to support statehood for Alaska.
- Unsuccessful candidate for "Alaska-Tennessee Plan" Congressional Delegation.
Name Robert B. Atwood
Occupation Newspaper Owner and Publisher Born March 31, 1907 - Chicago, Illinois Died January 10, 1997 - Anchorage, Alaska Alaska Resident 1933-1997 Honors
- "Alaskan of the Year" - 1967
- Director, National Municipal League - 1969
- Norweigian Consul - 1959
- Speech to the Convention
- Statehood Flight
- Handbook for the Delegates of the Alaska Constitutional Convention
- Bob Atwood's Alaska - Robert B. Atwood
Selected Newspaper Articles
- Commonwealth Not For Alaska - Anchorage Daily Times, 1955-02-08
- Constitution Plans Occupy State Group - Daily Alaskan Empire, 1955-02-04
- Set Plans for Statehood Fight - 100 Alaskans Will See President - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, 1954-05-03
For more newspaper articles, visit the Statehood Newspaper Archive