College Savings Month
A Note About Saving For College
Message from UA College Savings Plan Director Lael Oldmixon
It’s fitting that the UA College Savings Plan takes a moment to reach out and remind UA employees that September is a good time to start saving, review investments and/or increase systematic contributions. September is national College Savings Month! The UA College Savings Plan is the nation’s only 529 plan located within a university, which gives us the unique ability to help students with more than just their college savings plan.
Students requesting distributions to pay for educational expenses are always grateful for the money saved on their behalf. UA employees with college-aged children are equally thankful that they are able to supplement the Employee Tuition Waiver with money saved for their child in a college savings plan account. As the benefits of savings come to fruition for families, we celebrate. We are happy to make saving for college easy for UA employees and Alaska families.
Here’s how you can celebrate college savings month:
- Visit our booth in Raven Hall at the Alaska State Fair in Palmer, AK. Meet Dash, our mascot, strike a pose in our photo booth, and let us answer your 529 college savings questions.
- Visit our information table during the UA Statewide summer picnic on September 1 from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Grow your accounts through systematic monthly contributions. Payroll deduction is convenient way for UA employees to fund college savings accounts. To participate in payroll deduction, first set up an account in the UA College Savings Plan. Register online at www.uacollegesavings.com or by calling 1-800-478-0003. Then, fill out Payroll Deduction Request form (FORM) and return it to the UA College Savings Plan office. Alternatively, you can enroll in Automatic Monthly Contributions.
- Follow the UA College Savings Plan (www.facebook.com/ak529) on Facebook and watch for updates about upcoming events and tips during the month of September.
- Get to know the UA College Savings Plan staff. Drop into Suite 207 of the Butrovich Building (Fairbanks) or Suite 209 of the Bragaw Office Building (Anchorage); or reach us at 474-5671 and email@example.com. We’re here to answer your 529 questions.
UA College Savings Plan Director