For counselors/schools participating in College Application Week, here are some ideas for your event. Contact us if you have any you think would make good additions to the list!
- Advertise College Application week during other school events. This will help news of the event reach both students and parents.
- Recruit event volunteers early!
- Round up donations/giveaways/college-related handouts to give out to students.
- Don't go it alone! Organize a team at your school to help plan and coordinate the event.
- College Application Week is about helping students apply to a college they're interested in. If possible, encourage them to research colleges and application requirements before the event.
- Have the counselors/volunteers wear college-themed apparel. Even better, see if they can wear something from the college they attended!
- If your school has a homeroom period, see if teachers will allow students to participate during that time.
- Have other teachers not directly involved in CAW still try to participate somehow. For example, see if they can decorate their classrooms or doors with related materials.
- Consider hosting an after school event one day for parents and students.
- Offer "I applied!" stickers similar to the ones used for people who vote at elections.
- Have students who already applied help other students with their applications and encourage other students to apply.
- After CAW, figure out how much money the students at your school saved in application fees, and share that information with your school.
- Have an event later in the year congratulating everyone who applied and/or accepted to college.
- Send us your suggestions and feedback on how we can improve College Application Week!