May 15, 2012
Strategic Direction Update
The University of Alaska Strategic Direction Initiative (SDI) team is in the final stages of assessing comments made during the SDI listening sessions conducted throughout the state. UAF, UAA, and UAS Chancellors have been analyzing the listening session notes provided by the Strategic Direction team.
As a result of input provided from the listening sessions conducted from on the UAF campuses, a proposal is under consideration by the UAF Faculty Senate for a new interdisciplinary minor. Many transfer students, especially military students, have substantial credits in fields where UAF does not have a minor. Creation of this minor would allow students to compete BA programs more quickly by recognizing the body of knowledge and skills they have developed elsewhere.
What can the university do to address Alaska Native student concerns?
· It seems that UA is in a great position to support language revitalization by offering incentives for Native students to be a part of that process.
· There is a great need for more Native science expertise. And overall, the university could make a greater commitment to outreach in science in rural communities in the state.
· I’d like to see more Native instructors and more indigenous language programs at UAF.
· We need more Alaska Native dietetics majors. The Dietetics program has benefited many Native communities. Connections with the tribal health organizations are allowing us to reach out to even more communities providing nutrition intervention.
· More could be done to graduate additional Native educators through collaborations between tribal councils and UA.
If you haven’t had a chance to take part in a listening session, there is still time. Listening session questionnaires for the community, students, staff, faculty and alumni are all available online. All you have to do is click here ! Your comments are important to us. Be a part of the dialogue that’s happening throughout the University of Alaska System. Let us know what you would like to see in your University of Alaska and be a part of “Shaping Alaska’s Future 2017”!