The UA Scholars program continues to keep Alaska's top high school graduates in state while continuing their education at the University of Alaska. These students enrich the academic environment at UA as they develop in their roles as future leaders of Alaska. They also represent all the corners of the state and serve as ambassadors between their community and the university. The UA Scholars Program marks a turning point for Alaska.
Quick Facts at a Glance
• Since implementation of the UA Scholars Program, 5,271 students have accepted the scholarship at least one semester.
• Currently 1,982 UA Scholars are enrolled at the University of Alaska.
• Since inception of the Program, UA Scholars have earned a total of 1,873 degrees, certificates and endorsements from the University of Alaska. Of the graduates, 29 have completed a master’s degree.
• Among graduates, 98% are living in AK and 82% are working in-state.
• During its inaugural semester in fall 1999, the UA Scholars Program attracted 271 top Alaskan students to the University of Alaska. In fall 2010, the number of new UA Scholars had grown to 473, an increase of 75 percent.
• The top program choices of UA Scholars are Business and Public Administration, Math, Physical and Life Sciences, and Engineering.
Statistics reported are current through Fall Semester 2010