April 11, 2002
University Regents Meet Next Week in Fairbanks
April 11, 2002 NR 07-02
Regents of the University of Alaska will hold a special meeting in Fairbanks on Monday, April 15, 2002, to take up property and facility issues, and to consider approval of a labor contract with adjunct faculty.
The meeting of the full board will follow a joint meeting of the Finance and Audit Committee and the Facilities and Land Management Committee. The committee meeting will begin at 9 a.m. in Room 109 of the Butrovich Building on the UAF campus.
Agenda items include the following:
- Consider the sale of Damon Plaza Subdivision lots in Soldotna. A developer has purchased 39 lots for $245,100, and has proposed purchasing the remaining 37 lots at a cost of $219,100. The university was given the property in 1973.
- Consider approval of the relinquishment of interest in Ketchikan property back to federal authorities. The university acquired the dilapidated house in 1999 at no cost from the U. S. Department of Education, and the property was to be used as a project house for Ketchikan College’s Construction Technology Program. The administration proposed to return the house to the federal government because remodel requirements are extensive and private housing is available to meet foreseeable demand.
- Consider approval of the project and schematic design for the West Ridge Research Building at UAF and authorize the administration to bid and award contracts not to exceed a total project cost of $10 million, subject to availability of funding.
- Consider acceptance of Project Agreements on the UAA Ecosystem/Biological Health Facility, and for University Center, both of which have been authorized by the regents. The project agreements will allow the projects to proceed to construction award at a pace to be determined by the vice president for finance and the chair of the board’s Facilities and Land Management Committee, subject to the availability of funds.
- Consider approval of Regents’ Policy realignment to reflect the roles of the Finance and Audit Committee and the Facilities and Land Management Committee.
- Consider acceptance of the bargaining unit contract between the University of Alaska and United Academic-Adjuncts. Members of the union ratified this contract on March 11, 2002.
- Receive status reports on prioritization of FY04 capital budget requests, university debt, the acquisition of Mental Health Trust land located adjacent to UAA campus, naming of facilities, and capital appropriations.
All meetings of the Board of Regents and its committees, except for executive sessions, are open to the public.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Bob Miller, 907-474-6311 NR 7-02