June 13, 1997
Regents to meet in Dillingham
June 13, 1997 NR 10-1997
The annual meeting of the University of Alaska Board of Regents will be held Thursday and Friday, June 19-20, 1997, in Dillingham, site of the Bristol Bay Campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
The meeting will be preceded by a meeting of the Planning and Development Committee of the board on Wednesday, June 18, in Anchorage. The committee meeting will be held in the chancellor's conference room in the administration building at UAA, beginning at noon and concluding at 5 p.m.
In Dillingham, committee meetings will be held all day Thursday and early Friday morning, and the full board meeting will begin Friday at 9 a.m. The regents will elect new officers before hearing public testimony which is expected to begin at approximately 9:15 a.m. The meeting will conclude about 5 p.m. At noon Friday, the board has scheduled an executive session that is expected to last about two hours. All committee meetings and the full board meeting will be held at the Dillingham Elementary School.
The following agenda items for this board meeting are listed by committee of origin:
Planning and Development
- The committee will discuss the purposes of higher education in Alaska, principles and priorities guiding decisions on academic and administrative programs, optional administrative structures for the university system, and the possible role of a consultant to the board in the planning process.
Academic and Student Affairs
- Review of student affairs policies.
- Status report from the Ad Hoc Committee on University of Alaska Schools of Education.
- Discussion of plans to develop an International Arctic Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Report on observance of Alaska Civil Rights Day.
- Discussion on funding sources for developmental education.
Finance, Facilities and Land Management
- Consideration of revisions to the university policy on facilities.
- Consideration of the Fairbanks North Star Borough master plan for the West Valley High School site.
- Consideration of the concept for the UAF Geist Road/Loftus Road campus entrance.
- Authorization of a bond sale not to exceed $10 million for UAS housing and UAF's International Arctic Research Center.
- Consideration of Land-Grant Endowment Trust Fund investment policy.
- Reports on the coal-water project at UAF, student housing and food service projects at UAA, the Auke Cape project near Juneau, the status of capital projects and on the Alaska Center for International Business and related activities at UAA.
- Consideration of technical corrections to human resources policies.
- Review of discrimination and sexual harassment policy and regulation.
- Reports on the job evaluation project and on the current status of labor relations.
- Committee of the Whole
- Consideration of the distribution of the FY98 general fund operating budget across the university system.
- Consideration of the distribution of the FY98 capital budget.
- Consideration of a one-year partial waiver of the deferred maintenance policy.
- Discussion regarding the creation of a bylaws committee to consider revisions to the board's bylaws.
- Review of recently completed audits, status report on the FY97 annual audit plan and consideration of the FY98 audit plan.
- Committee members will finalize nominations for board officers for presentation to the full board on Friday morning.
All meetings of the Board of Regents and its committees, except for executive sessions, are open to the public.
During the meeting in Dillingham, messages can be left at the Bristol Bay Campus, 907-842-5483, or faxes may sent to 907-842-5692.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Bob Miller, 907-474-7272