Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Upgrade
Why are we upgrading versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)?
We periodically upgrade versions of antivirus software to make sure that the University of Alaska continues to benifit from updated software. These benifits include:
- Ability to take advantage of new features in the updated software.
- Maintain supported versions of software for vender support.
- Help ensure computers are protected from the latest virus and malware threats.
How does my computer get the upgrade.
We are utilizing the Unified Active Directory (UA domain) to deploy the upgrade. Using group policy to push the SEP upgrade to clients. The upgrade happens durring computer startup. The upgrade process can take as long as 30 minutes. Durring this time, you will recieve a message on your comptuer screen similar to the following:
"Applying managed software policy: Symantec Endpoint Protection."
Your computer may reboot automatically after the software is installed, or may reboot right after an intital login. If you log into your computer and it restarts automatically. Please let the comptuer reboot, and log in again.
What is the timeframe for the upgrade?
The deployment of the Symantec Endpoint Protection upgrade will be a phased rollout. Below are the following timelines:
- OIT: Deployment begins: November 26
- SW: Deployment begins: December 3
- Remote Campuses: Deployment Begins: December 10
- UAF: Deployment Begins: December 17
How will I be notified of the upgrade.
You will recieve notifications from OIT Support center, with information regarding the upgrade, as well as a link to this webpage. There will also be general notifications in the Statewide voice, and UAF corrnerstone.