Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access my Blackboard account?
You can find your User Name (UAUsername) and set your password using the Easy Login Maintanence Option (ELMO).
Accounts for students enrolled in classes are automatically created daily. Login to Blackboard in the column to the left using your UA Username and password.
When will I see my courses in Blackboard?
- Students are automatically added to courses in Blackboard within 48 hours of registering for a course in Banner (UAonline). For existing students, the turnaround time is usually less than 24 hours
- Please Note: Even though you registered, students will only see courses in Blackboard when the instructor makes them available for viewing.
- Why? Courses for each new term are created ahead of time as Unavailable to students so the instructor has time to prepare the course materials.
- Students registered for that course will not see it in Blackboard until the instructor changes the course status to Available.
- If you cannot find a course you are registered for, please understand that some instructors choose not to use Blackboard. Let your instructor know if you would prefer they did.
How do I hide past courses?
When will courses be loaded into Blackboard?
Course and instructor information will be loaded into Blackboard when Registration begins for the semester. This will continue every day until the semester starts. Students will not begin to be enrolled into the course until shortly before the courses starts.
- the course exists in Banner for the term in question
- you are listed as the instructor in Banner
NOTE: Courses for the next term are initially created as Unavailable in Blackboard. This prevents students from seeing your course until you make it Available.
How do I use Student Response Systems (Clickers) in my class?
TurningPoint Clickers and Polling Software can be used in any room where a computer or laptop is available. Student Response Systems allow faculty to perform instant in-class polling and concept testing using interactive polling software. Hardware & ResponseWare accounts can be purchased at the UAF Bookstore, or online at store.turningtechnologies.com. Students can receive a discounted price online using the e-commerce code “UAFACCT”.
You must register your clicker's ID, or sign-in with your ResponseWare account, in at least one of your Blackboard Courses to tie your device to your Blackboard account. You can register your device or your account using the TurningTechnoligies Registration Tool in your Blackboard Course. For more information on how to register, please see the first few minutes of this Blackboard tutorial video.
As of August 23rd, 2013, TurningPoint 5 must be used if Faculty wish to utilize the Blackboard integration.
For more information and training on TurningPoint products, please visit TurningPoint Training & Documentation page, or Sign Up for our "Power of Polling" training classes on the OIT Training Calendar.
For more information on how to use the Blackboard integration see the Blackboard tutorial video for a full walkthrough.
Is there UA Blackboard training available in person for faculty?
The OIT Support Center Training & Development Group provides training and faculty development for all UAF faculty. There are several UA Blackboard training classes available and special sessions can be arranged by request.
For more information visit the training calendar or contact the OIT Training & Development group at email@example.com.
How do I request the stacking of multiple courses?
Instructors desiring to have some courses stacked (multiple courses put together and treated as one) may request this UA Blackboard Course Copy/Stacking Online Request form .
Where can I find out more about course, faculty, and student records in UA Blackboard?
- Courses and Instructors are automatically added to UA Blackboard daily (from Banner) and start showing up as soon as the catalog is published, and then updated once daily.
- Students are automatically added to courses beginning 3 weeks before each new term begins, continuing throughout the term.
- New students are automatically added to courses in UA Blackboard within 48 hours of registering for a course in Banner (UAonline). For existing students, the turnaround time us usually within 5 minutes.
Next Term Scheduling:
- Next Term Courses and Instructors are automatically added to UA Blackboard daily (from Banner) beginning on the opening date for Student Registration for that term.
- Students are automatically added to courses (from Banner) 3 weeks before instruction begins, and continue to be added throughout the term.
Next Term Preparation:
- Courses for the next term are initially created as Unavailable in Blackboard. This prevents students from seeing your course until you make it Available.
- If you are planning to use Blackboard in the next term, please verify that the courses you are instructing are available to you in Blackboard wellbefore the next term begins... If you do not see your course(s) in Blackboard, please confirm the following information is correct in Banner (via UAonlineor the Registrar's Office):
- You are listed as one of the instructors in Banner
- The course exists in Banner for the term in question
How do I make students unavailable in my course?
This tutorial will show how you can set a user in your Blackboard course to be unavailable, so the user can no longer see the course. It does not remove the user from the course, and preserves all of the work the user has done in the course.
Access Users and Groups
In your course, go to the section Control Panel -> Users and Groups -> Users to display the list of current users in your course.
Access User Options
Find the student user you want to make unavailable in the users list (1). Each user will have a drop down arrow (2). Click on the arrow to see the users options list and select Change User's Availability in Course (3).
Set User Availability
On the Role and Availability page, change the Availability setting to 'No' (4). Click Submit to confirm the change.
Hide Rows in Grade Center
Once a user is unavailable in the course, you may what to hide them from your Grade Center as well. In your course, under the Control Panel, go to Grade Center -> Full Grade Center.
Change Row Visibility
In the Grade Center, go to the Manage menu, and select Row Visibility.
Show/Hide User Rows
The users that are unavailable in the course have a icon marked in front of their user name (1). Select the user that you want to hide from the Grade Center (2), and click on Hide Rows (3). Click Submit to confirm the changes. You can hide multiple users at the same time. To reverse the action, and show the user back in the Grade Center, select the user (2) and click on Show Rows.