Phishing Alert | Email Subject: "UAF Students And Staff"
OIT has been receiving notices of a phishing email making it's way into people inboxes. The email asks recipients to login via a link to get the "latest information on seminars, sport events, assignments, examinations, etc."
A Google short link is provided. At the time of this posting Google has blocked the link.
If you have received this message in your Google Apps @ UA email account, you can report the message as a phishing attempt using Google's Report Phishing tool.
If you received this message in any other email account, please delete the message.
Additionally, you can report the Google Docs Form as Phishing using the "Report Abuse" link in the lower left of the page.
The email message is:
The email asks the recipient to follow a link, and likely provide personally identifiable information.
DO NOT reply to this email or fillout the form. If you did, you should immediately change your password using ELMO.
Here are a few of the things to look for when identifying this message as phishing:
- The URL is not a uaf.edu or alaska.edu address.
- The email uses an older spelling of center.
- The email text has some grammatical errors.
- The email address in the footer for the OIT Support Center is similar, but incorrect.
- The physical address in the footer listed for the OIT Support Center is incorrect.
505 South Chandalar Drive
This email was more convincing than most phishing attempts. Always be cautious when emails or websites ask for personal information or passwords.