Phishing Alert | Email Subject: "Email Account upgrading services University of Alaska Fairbanks | UAF home 2013"
OIT has been receiving notices of a phishing email making it's way into people inboxes. The email reports the recipient's account must be updated, and asks for Name and Password.
If you have received this message in your Google Apps @ UA email account, you can report the message as a phishing attempt using Google's Report Phishing tool.
If you received this message in any other email account, please delete the message.
The email message is:
The email asks the recipient to reply with their Name and Password.
If you provided your Username and Password, you should immediately change your password using ELMO.
Here are a few of the things to look for when identifying this message as phishing:
- The email is not from OIT.
- The email signature does not reference the University of Alaska or OIT.
- The email elludes to an impending problem if you don't act.
"Failure to do this withing 72 hours, immediately we are going to make your account deactivated from our data base."
- The email asks for your password.
- The postal address isn't OIT, the University of Alaska, or even in Alaska.
- Excessive use of exclamation points.