Phishing Alert | Email Subject: "Dear User,"
OIT has been receiving notices of a phishing email making it's way into people inboxes. The email reports the recipient's password will expire in 48 hours, and then asks the user to "validate" their email.
If you have received this message in your Google Apps @ UA email account, you can report the message as a phishing attempt using Google's Report Phishing tool.
If you received this message in any other email account, please delete the message.
The email message is:
The email asks the recipient to go a web form. The form asks for User-name, Email, Current Password and Confirm Password.
If you provided your Username and Password, you should immediately change your password using ELMO.
Here are a few of the things to look for when identifying this message as phishing:
- The email is not from OIT.
- The email signature does not reference the University of Alaska or OIT.
- The email issue (password expiration) and the solution ("validate" email) do not match.
- The email tells you to "validate" your email.
- The form URL is not a University of Alaska address.
- The password utility is not ELMO.
Please be aware of the addresses for your login pages.