Outlook users now have the added benefit of using Google Apps Sync. Sync allows Outlook to connect to Google using Microsoft Exchange. Not only does email synchronize, calendar and contacts synchronize as well. For those interested in learning the detailed information about Google Apps Sync and all of its features, view the video at the bottom of this page.
It is important to note that there is a separate password you need to use; different than the Authserv password used to access Google webmail. This password must be configured prior to using your Google email in an email client. This password is known as the "Google-side Password".
To begin the configuration, follow the steps below:
1. Make sure you Google-side password is synced in ELMO.
2. After clicking the above link, login with Option 1. If needed, you will be prompted to synchronize your password.
3. Download and install Google Apps Sync.
4. Sign in.
- When prompted, enter your Google Apps @ UA account Email address and Google-side password, and sign in.
- Google will ask permission to view and manage various aspects of your user account.
- Click Accept to proceed with setting up your Outlook account.
6. Create Profile.
- After sign-in, a dialog appears where you can optionally import your existing email, contacts, and other Outlook data to your Google Apps account.
- If instead your Google Apps account already has your data, or if you want to import data later, leave the Import data from an existing profile option unchecked.
- Click Create Profile.
7. Start Outlook.
- After you click Create Profile and setup completes, a dialogue box appears where you can start the initial syncing process.
- Click Start Microsoft Outlook to begin.
8. Choose Profile.
- Make sure your Google Apps @ UA email account is selected and click OK.
10. Import Google Apps data.
- The initial sync can take several hours to complete. But you can begin using your account immediately.