Board of Regents
Special Meeting of the Full Board
and Alaska State Legislators
Tuesday, December 17, 1997; 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Legislative Information Office, 716 W. 4th Avenue
I. Introduction - Michael P. Kelly, President of the University of Alaska Board of Regents
II. Report from President Jerome Komisar on Executive Review of Cost Savings Potential
A. Administrative OrganizationIII. Deferred Maintenance Task Force - Senator Tim Kelly
The Board of Regents adopted the following motion to guide the organization and re-engineering of the University of Alaska administrative functions:1. maintain a strong presidency with the ability to concentrate on policy issues but responsible to the Board of Regents for both the executive and service functions;B. Extended Campus Organization
2. endorse the concept of a President's Council;
3. clearly distinguish between executive and service functions;
4. maintain a university-wide system that avoids unnecessary duplication to the maximum extent possible;
5. assure that re-engineering of functions and organization results in new reduction of executive/administrative costs of at least $2 million per year for a total of $10 million over the next four years beginning with FY99;
6. keep operational authority closest to customers; and
7. assure that this be done in a form in which actual savings can be projected and reported.
C. Allocation of Instructional Resources
D. Distance Delivery
Report on status of the Interim Task Force recommendations on deferred maintenance.
IV. Report on Special Legislative Committees
A. Workforce Development