Sick Leave - Leave Accrual
The university grants paid sick leave to all faculty members, regular full-time, regular part-time, and extended temporary employees who work 20 or more hours per week on a regular basis. Full-time employees accrue 4.62 hours per pay period (if they are in pay status for the entire pay period), while part-time employees earn an amount based on the percentage of full-time hours they work per pay period.
Using Sick Leave
Employees may use sick leave for those hours they are regularly scheduled to work. If their sick leave balance is exhausted, eligible sick leave hours will be deducted from annual leave. If all leave is exhausted, employees may be eligible for the Leave Share Program or leave without pay.
Sick leave may be taken for a variety of reasons:
- Illness or medical condition
- An appointment with a doctor or dentist
- Emergency care for members of your immediate family
- Childbirth (by you or your spouse) or newborn adopted child
- Adoption of a minor if required by the adoption process
- A death in the family; funeral attendance (maximum of five days) Additional time may be granted by the supervisor/department head upon approval of a written request from the employee. (UNAC members should consult their CBA.)
Employees must notify their immediate supervisor within the first hour of the normally scheduled work day (exceptions may be made in emergency situations). An absence due to an illness may require a physician’s note or other verification.